To be held in Victoria and South Australia, the workshops will provide invaluable insights into minimising the risk of harvester fires this season.
On average, seven per cent of harvesters will start a fire every year. Harvester fires can cause significant damage to the machine or surrounding crop and place people, including neighbours, at risk.
The workshops will cover:
- Recovery from harvester fires, from a practical, legal and mental health perspective.
- Harvest fire management plans, including insurance
- Fire fighting code of conduct and chain of command
- Update on state-based grain harvesting codes of practice, and the Grassland Fire Danger Index (GFDI) protocols for high fire risk days
- Harvester preparation and management, such as preventative maintenance checks, harvester hygiene and practical modifications to reduce heat load
Industry experts, including Kondinin Group's Ben White, will be speaking at the workshops which will also include a free lunch. The venues and dates are:
- Swan Hill VIC - Tuesday 2 October
- Kaniva VIC - Wednesday 3 October
- Clare SA - Thursday 4 October
- Cummins SA - Friday 5 October
For more details, visit: https://grdc.com.au/events/list